- 1/4 of a 70g pack Chai mix
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar/honey/sweetener of choice
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 cups milk of choice (soy and full cream work best)
- Bring about 2 and a half cups of water to a slow boil.
- Add the chai mix, ginger and sugar and stir.
- Simmer for 2 to 5 minutes and continue stirring.
- Add your milk of choice while stirring and keeping the mix hot.
- Simmer for 5 or more minutes to really cook the flavour from the spices into the creaminess of the milk. Try to aerate the chai while mixing.
- At this point you can pour the mix through a sieve into a teapot, or you can reduce the heat to around 60-65C (or serving temperature) and allow the spices to cook further.
- Try to get an even mix of the spices when you make the chai.
- You lose a bit of liquid to evaporation so the recipe above makes around 4 cups.
- Making larger quantities can be easier to manage the temperatures and ingredients.
- The 70g packet makes around 4L of chai.
- If you make too much, you can refrigerate it to reheat later and it is still delicious.
- Try pouring refrigerated chai over ice on a hot day!
- Try using Rapadura sugar or brown sugar for something different.